Top 10 Christmas movies to watch over break

This pie chart shows the favorite Christmas movies of students here at MASH.

Erin Harris, Sports Editor

Around this time every year, people start getting into the Christmas spirit. Whether it be, decorating for the tree, listening to holiday-themed music, or watching Christmas movies, holiday magic is in the air.

As a way to kick off this year’s break, I decided to make a countdown of the top ten Christmas movies that everybody should watch over break!

Going off of personal favorites and favorites from students here at MASH, I will be revealing the top ten Christmas movies to watch during the holidays! 

Honorable Mentions Include: Polar Express, The Mistletones, Frozen 2, A Year Without a Santa Claus, Christmas with the Kranks, The Holiday Calendar 

1. Frosty the Snowman 

Summary: A magical top hat, put upon a snowman made by some children, brings the snowman to life. Frosty the Snowman is in trouble when Dr. Hinkle takes the top hat and the sun starts to come out. The kids most save Frosty before he melts away for good. 

1. A Christmas Carol (2009)

Summary: Made as an adaption of the book written by Charles Dickens, Ebenezer Scrooge is haunted by three ghosts on the night of Christmas Eve. As someone who doesn’t like Christmas, the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future, try to help Scrooge realize the true meaning of Christmas. Ebenezer Scrooge must change his fate before his fate ends him. 

1. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer  

Summary: Rudolph, the only reindeer in the North Pole with a glowing, red nose, is bullied for the way he looks. Though Rudolph doesn’t like his nose and wishes to change it, he is the only one who can save Christmas when it becomes too foggy for Santa to see on Christmas Eve. 

“When I was younger we had a tradition that every Christmas we watched Rudolph.” -Marissa Duggan

1. The Nightmare Before Christmas 

Summary: Jack Skellington is sick of his old ways of scaring people. When Jack stumbles upon Christmastown, he gets a new view of life that he never saw before. He plans to takeover Christmmas and keep it for himself but he realizes that life isn’t always what it seems. 

1. A Christmas Story 

Summary: Troublemaker, Ralphie Parker, spends his time avoiding a bullying, hanging out with friends, and day-dreaming of the “Red Rider Air Rifle” that he wants for Christmas. Filled with laughter and comedy, Ralphie tries to survive his Christmas with his uptight father and his adoring mother. 

1. The Santa Clause 

Summary: After Santa Claus falls off their roof on Christmas Eve, businessman Scott Calvin and his son are transported to the North Pole. When they arrive, an elf tells Scott that he is now Santa Clause and he has much to do to prepare for Christmas. Struggling with custody attorneys, non-believers, and a new-found round belly, Scott has to prepare for Christmas as Santa Clause. 

1. How the Grinch Stole Christmas 

Summary: After years of torment and time away from Whoville, the Grinch is coaxed down from his mountain by little Cindy-Lou Who. At first all is going well until his long-time enemy, and now mayor, insults him. The Grinch realizes that the best way to back at Whoville is to steal Christmas. 

1. Home Alone 

Summary: When Kevin McAllister’s family forgets him when they leave for their family vacation, he thinks it’s the best thing possible. That is, until he finds out that there are two burglars attempting to break into his house on Christmas Eve. Kevin is no dummy though. By himself, Kevin comes up with a plan to catch the burglars and still have a nice Christmas. 

1. Elf 

Summary: Buddy the Elf, accidentally taken to the North Pole as a baby, has grown up his whole life around elves. Understanding that he isn’t a true elf, he sets off to New York City to find his real father. Though Buddy and his dad are farthest from being alike, a DNA test proves that Buddy is Walter’s son. This sets off a chain of events that leads right up to saving Christmas Eve itself. 

1. Christmas Vacation 

Summary: Looking for the perfect Christmas, Clark Griswold does everything in his power to provide said Christmas to his family. But life doesn’t always go as planned. Soon, the house is filled with relatives, including his crazy, cousin Eddie, and he still doesn’t have his Christmas bonus. This comedic movie is everything  people wish to hide about their family Christmases. 

“It’s funny!” -Courtney Potts