Project legacy provides Christmas for local families

Back to Article
Back to Article

Evalyne Simpson, Reporter

The holiday season is often referred to as “the season of giving”. Everyone’s focused on giving their family, friends, and loved ones the best gifts possible. It’s also the most popular time to donate to charities or do volunteer work. This time of year is all about making others feel good and spreading kindness. 

Spreading kindness is something that Project Legacy is familiar with. Project Legacy is “A program that provides Christmas to families in the district,” says Dawn Austin, a coordinator for the organization. Donors throughout the community sign up to provide gifts for families. Most donors are individuals or small business owners. They provide much needed items like clothing, as well as the items they want like toys or books. The gifts are all stored in a warehouse and then distributed to families, along with holiday groceries and a grocery gift card. 

Project Legacy provides relief for over 30 families in the district each year. It makes their holiday season and gives them a wonderful Christmas. “This is truly a project where most people cry when they see the pile we have for them. We move things on pallets as they usually have that much stuff,” explains Austin. It is a very rewarding experience for the families as well for the coordinators and donors. She knows that she has “Made a difference in their lives, even if only for one day.” 

Over the years, Project Legacy has helped many families and inspired countless heartfelt moments. Whether it be the homeless high school senior that received a truckload of items,  the family that was given plywood to fix the holes in their home, or the mom with broken glasses who was given new glasses from a local optometrist, Project Legacy has made a difference in the lives of many.