Changes coming to the counseling office

The military information board

Jenna Archer, Features Editor

If you stop by the guidance office any time soon, whether to meet with a counselor, talk over schedules, or hand in transcript requests, you may notice that it looks a little different!

Three seniors, Tiernney Kraft and Robin Hoy, with the help of Carley Trostle and Mr. Covert, have been hard at work the past month revamping the office into a space that better represents the student body here at MASH.

Before the change, the space was covered wall to wall with flags from colleges that MASH students have been accepted to and attend as students. From as far away as the University of Washington on the west coast to as close as Messiah University, the room was filled with colors and pictures of mascots.

Tiernney Kraft reflects on the office before she volunteered to help make these changes a reality, “I remember when I would go in and search for packets on the shelves and not be able to find them. I would get so frustrated, so Robin and I wanted to fix this, make it less stressful.” Together, they’ve accomplished just that.

The flags were stripped from the wall, the college information sheets and pamphlets on applying, financial aid, and scholarships were organized, and the space was overall decluttered. There are plans to repaint the office over the summer, to be ready in time for the next school year.

One of the main goals of the project was to make it more inclusive with military and workforce information in addition to the normal college resources. This gives all students information available to them regarding their future aspirations. One of the windows was also reserved to recognize the students committing to join the military, much like the one displaying students’ and their college choices.

The students also added a bulletin board full of information about the various clubs MASH has to offer and potential volunteer opportunities to give back to the school and the community. So far the board contains information for the musical, but teachers are planning to advertise their clubs, such as GSA, LGBTQ support, Christians in Action, Avedium, the Muslim Students Association, and many others.

Robin Hoy offers her opinion on how this board will quickly turn into a useful resource for MASH students. “The board will help clubs advertise to gain new members so that everyone feels like they have a spot where they belong.”

“I have personally seen the impact small change can have on a school of 1200+ students,” Ms. Befort states about the new additions. “The counseling center is evolving every day to make others feel included and comfortable with who they are, or who they want to become. I feel like in today’s world it is often difficult to be comfortable with who we are. Perhaps we can change that by including one student at a time. It brings me great joy to be a part of such a wonderful community of students and staff that are working together towards a goal on inclusion of all.

The next time you’re in the counseling office be sure to check out all of the hard work these students have put into these projects and let them know what a great job they’ve done!