Girls cross country team makes history

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls cross country team makes history

Gabriella Gates, Editorial Editor

For the first time in MASH history, the girls cross country team has made it to the state championship. It was a combination of hard work, talent, team work, and their new coach, Coach Hager that lead them to this incredible accomplishment.

The team did well all season with a record of 5-2. But, going into districts they knew that they all had to run well to qualify for states. Sophomore, Olivia Walter says, “We went into the season as underdogs, so we were surprised to come out with a second place finish at districts.” All the runners– Hope McKenney, Olivia Walter, Juliette Safer, Raihana Yameogo, Faith Evans, Grace Wiedman, and Molly Snyder ran an incredible race at districts and contributed to their remarkable qualification for states.

However, they didn’t just qualify for states because they ran one great race–they qualified because they put in a tremendous amount of work all season long. They have been practicing since the beginning of the summer, and putting in workouts 2-3 times a week since July. 

At states, all of the girls ran extremely well.  Hope McKenney, the number one runner for Mecahnicsburg, placed 34th in the AAA race. She said with enthusiasm, “At states, to have come home with a 5th place finish as a team was unbelievable. We were all extremely happy with how we did.”

As a team, the girls did very well and heading into the next cross country season, they have a great chance of doing even better. As their season came to a close, the girls reflected and began to look forward to the next season. Olivia Walter says, “With our top 5 girls returning next year, I can’t wait to see where we’ll be at this time next year!”