Learning at Home Grading System

Gabriella Gates, Editorial Editor

With the transition from normal schooling to the learning at home plan came a new grading system. Instead of measuring in the form of letter grades, it only takes into account student’s participation in activities. It provides students with a scale on how much work they have done. Students will receive either a high, low, or some in the grade book. It refers to how much of the work students are doing instead or how well they are doing it. 

The grading system doesn’t push students to put much effort into their work. Sophomore Caitlyn Lauver said, “I don’t think it gives enough motivation because students know that, ultimately, not doing our work will not hurt our overall grades. Also, the school needs to provide clarification for what earns a high or some participation instead of teachers individually deciding that.” Students aren’t getting the motivation they need to do their work, or do their work well. Normally students have the pressure of GPAs and report cards, but with the lack of anything to keep them driven, some students are falling behind. In addition to the lack of incentive, there is also inconsistency. Every teacher has a different idea of what classifies as “some” and “high” participation. This can confuse students and make it hard for them to understand what is required of them. 

Although there are problems with the new “grading” system, there are also benefits. Another sophomore, Gracen Shepps said, “I like the new evaluation system  because it puts less stress on letter grades when we are learning from home. It gives students an opportunity to learn the material instead of just memorizing it for a test.” Letter grades can sometimes be all students think about when in school. Students can lose sight of their actual goals when all they focus on is getting a good grade on the test. When you are graded on participation, it takes the stress off of students and allows them to fail. Doing poorly on an assignment gives students room to grow without negatively affecting their future. 

The grading scale seems to be working well for students during quarantine, but should it continue when we go back to school in the fall? Sophomore Ella Forsythe said, “I think that for quarantine it is useful because some students may need help from teachers that they can’t get right now. However, when we go back to school, the grading scale should go back to normal because it forces students to think deeper and work hard instead of just going through the motions.” Grading students based on participation should just be a temporary fix. It doesn’t give students the structure they need to push themselves. Several students agreed that the new grading scale shouldn’t be implemented when students go back to school. Grading based on participation shouldn’t become a permanent way for schools to measure student’s progress. Learning at Home Grading System