Business classes offered at MASH

Jenna Archer, Features Editor

Business has quickly become one of the most popular majors in college. Prestigious business schools can be very challenging to get into, but if you’re interested, you’re in luck! MASH has one of the best business departments in the area, one that will help ensure your success when pursuing further education.

The business department is headed by Dr. Testa with classes being taught by Mrs. Culver and Mr. Strickler. There are seven different classes available to students, all of them providing unique educational experiences.

Introduction to business is exactly what its name says it is. This course provides students a blend of economics and business to provide students a wide range of knowledge regarding how businesses are structured and run, as well as their roles they play in the greater economy. This course is full year offered to all and provides students who take it one full credit weighted at 1.1.

Accounting is a must take class if you are planning to major in anything business related. All business majors are required to pass two accounting classes, which can be very difficult at the college level. Accounting tends to be the reason that business students change their majors to another field. However, if you take accounting with Mrs. Culver, you will have the opportunity to go into these classes with prior knowledge, making you more successful.

Students learn how to complete a full accounting cycle for sole proprietorships during the first semester and for corporations during the second semester. Each student is given a workbook for their work. They can then take these books home with them at the end of the year, which is a great resource to take to college where they can have examples of how each process is completed in case their courses get difficult. This course is full year offered to juniors and seniors and provides students who take it one full credit weighted at 1.2.

Sr. Paige Bortner says that accounting is her favorite class. “It gives me not just the skills to do well in my business classes next year in college, but also helps me to manage my money now.”

In the business management course, students learn the skills necessary to succeed as a manager in any company. They learn a variety of things such as management ethics, how to work with managers from other countries, and how different structures of management correspond to how their businesses are structured. This class offers a fun project where students work in small groups to create their own businesses and apply the things they learn in class to managing their own company. This course is full year offered to juniors and seniors and provides students who take it one full credit weighted at 1.2.

Entrepreneurship is a great class for students with aspirations to be their own boss. If you are interested in starting your own business, this is the class for you! This class will give you a base that you can use to start your own business, interact with customers, and find success in the future. Taking this class allows students to put their new knowledge to use as they design new school-themed products for production and work to sell them in the school store. This is a semester long course offered to sophomores, juniors, and seniors that provides students who take it a half credit weighted at 1.2.

If you love sports, you’d be interested in sports and entertainment marketing! This course explains every step of the marketing process for two of the largest industries in the American economy. This is a semester long course offered to sophomores, juniors, and seniors that provides students who take it a half credit weighted at 1.2.

Personal finance is arguably one of the most important classes students should take during their time at the high school. Most students wish there was a class that taught them necessary life skills that they’ll need later in their future and this course does just that. This class covers everything from how to read a paycheck and what banking services would be the best for you to managing credit and how to rent or buy a house and car.  This is a semester long course offered to juniors and seniors that provides students who take it a half credit. weighted at 1.2.

Sr. Robin Hoy has taken almost all of the business classes offered here at MASH. Of all of them, she says that personal finance was one of the most useful. “I know that I can manage my money in the future because of the things that I learned in this class. I feel more prepared to eventually live on my own during college and less stressed about the financial aspects.”

Lastly, investing for success teaches students about the different types of investment such as bonds or real estate. It provides a thorough explanation of the stock market that is the base of the American economy and how you can be the most successful when buying and selling stock. Most importantly, it teaches students the importance of saving for retirement even though it may be decades away. This is a semester long course offered to juniors and seniors that provides students who take it a half credit. weighted at 1.2.

Sr. Bri Balafoutas explains “The business classes at MASH don’t just prepare you for college, they provide you for life now and in the future.”

The next time you have to select courses for your next school year, be sure to consider adding a business class or two!