Redefining success

Sarah Rice, Reporter

Nothing worth having comes easily. Mechanicsburg’s  wrestling team doesn’t just understand and accept this concept- they embrace it. They lean into the struggle when times get tough, and this year’s season only proved just how much grit the team has. Looking at the team’s 3-11 record only tells part of the story.

The Wildcats lost several key seniors after their 2018-2019 season, including Nick Tewell and Aidan Sheely. With a relatively small group of wrestlers and concern towards the future of the team, no one knew what was in store for the following season. 

As the 2019-2020 season approached, however, the entire team stepped up to the presented challenge. The five seniors, including team captains Asa Brunk and Logan Ledebohm, quickly took charge of their team and brought in several new freshmen to fill the empty spaces on the roster. With the right training and exposure, these younger athletes ensure a strong future for the Mechanicsburg wrestling program. “We really have a solid, young core team,” Brunk explained. “After the seniors leave, I think the team will just keep growing and improving.” 

A major victory for the team occurred early in the season during a home meet against Hershey High School on December 12, 2019. The Wildcats came out strong as Asa Brunk, Logan Ledebohm, and Michael Lamancusa won each of their matches. At the end of the meet, Mechanicsburg defeated their opponent 41-27. For the first time since December 2015, the team pulled out a win at a home meet. Regardless of the rest of the season’s record, this night’s success proved the team’s future potential and ability to make history.

Post-season officially started on Saturday, February 15, with twelve wrestlers from Mechanicsburg competing in District 3 AAA Sectionals. The Wildcats placed twelfth overall and scored a total of 47.0 points. Logan Ledebohm placed fifth in his weight class at Sectionals, while Asa Brunk placed second in his weight class after winning by decision against a Cedar Cliff wrestler. As runner up in his weight class, Brunk will compete in South Central AAA Regionals, held at Spring Grove High School, on February 22.

Success isn’t always best measured through wins and losses. The 2019-2020 wrestling season for Mechanicsburg might not have ended in the best record, but it set a strong foundation for the team in years to come. Rebuilding a team takes time, energy, and dedication, all which the Wildcats have proven to possess again and again. So although this season is coming to a close, it is only to make room for the goals and success of next season.