MASH students participate in advanced choir festivals

Source%3A+https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Ddistrict%2Bseven%2Bchorus%2B2020%26safe%3Dstrict%26rlz%3D1C1GCEB_enUS889US889%26tbm%3Disch%26source%3Dlnms%26sa%3DX%26ved%3D0ahUKEwjiluHxrePnAhVjmuAKHRv4CicQ_AUIDCgD%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D657%26dpr%3D1%23imgrc%3D96Aysrb7UF0itM%3A

Source: https://www.google.com/search?q=district+seven+chorus+2020&safe=strict&rlz=1C1GCEB_enUS889US889&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjiluHxrePnAhVjmuAKHRv4CicQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1366&bih=657&dpr=1#imgrc=96Aysrb7UF0itM:

Jenna Archer, Features Editor

On the weekend of January 17th, a group of MASH students attended district chorus, following an audition process. As members of the seventh district, these students were able to sing with students from York, Franklin County, Dauphin County, Perry County, and a few other

The following students participated in the large group: Jr. Corey Czyzyk, Jr. Marissa Duggan, Sr. Chase Gillis, Sr. Ella Roth, Sr. Melodie Martinez, Sr. Meghan Collins, and Sr. Micah Collins.

This year, the weekend looked a little different for the members than it had in the past. Their concert was originally supposed to be held on January 18th, however it was moved up to the previous day due to a forecasted snowstorm. For the performers, this meant their rehearsal time as a whole group would be cut short.

As opposed to having the entire weekend to rehearse together, they only had about six hours. Nonetheless, the chorus gave a great performance at Central Dauphin High School, under the direction of guest conductor Dr. Jerry Blackstone, who comes from the University of Michigan. 

The selection of songs that the members of district chorus sang includes: Happy We written by Handel, The Sweetheart of the Sun written by Eric William Barnum, The Road Home written by Stephen Paulus, You Will Be Found from the popular musical Dear Evan Handsen, Ride the Chariot written by Brandon Waddles, Regina Coeli written by Mozart, and Os Justi written by Buckner.

Participating in these musical festivals carries great benefits for the performers. For example, Ella Roth says, “I’m majoring in music education. Although my concentration is in viola, being in choir festivals is a great thing to have on a college resume, and being able to sing as a music education major is a must.”

Congratulations to all of the hardworking, talented students who participated in district chorus, you made your community proud!

In addition to participating in district chorus, two MASH students are also advancing to regional chorus. This new chorus spans an even larger portion of Pennsylvania, gathering the region’s most talented performers for a new concert with a new selection of pieces being performed.

Ella Roth and Marissa Duggan both went through an additional audition to determine if they would qualify. They worked hard to prepare the music they received in October leading up to the auditions, then the judges picked two excerpts from two of the pieces that everyone would be judged on. The students waiting outside their voice part rooms, went in and sang their selections for three judges. The top thirteen students in each group would advance to regionals, and both Ella and Marisssa placed second in their respective sections.

Marissa is looking forward to the upcoming concert weekend. She says, “I am extremely humbled to participate in Region Chorus, as well as Region Orchestra and Region Band this year. PMEA music festivals are wonderful music-making experiences as well as great opportunities to meet talented musicians from other schools. I look forward to these festivals and know that they will be cherished memories for me long after I leave high school.”

The regional concert they will be performing in is scheduled for February 29 at Eastern York High School. The chorus will be under the direction of guest conductor Dr. Mark Mecham.

Good luck to both Ella and Marissa in their upcoming concert!