How to avoid catching the flu

Emma Brooks, Reporter

Keeping the school cleansed during flu season is nearly an impossible task with the thousands of students and staff in the building every day, but of course there are some things that we can do to help eliminate or at the very least lessen the epidemic. 

The Mechanicsburg Middle School has been hit extremely hard with the sickness this season, but the high school luckily hasn’t encountered as significant of a problem (and hopefully never does). Despite these germy days ahead, this article will discuss some tips and measurements that you and your peers can use to keep the flu away for the remainder of the season. 

The first and most obvious tip is to wash your hands often. I know that this is one of the most obvious and heard of tips out there, but I don’t think too much emphasis can be put on this simple task. Your hands are a breeding ground for all the unwanted bacteria and germs, and it’s pretty reasonable that sickness is spread primarily through your hands. Every time you touch a doorknob or desk that you sit in in class, the bacteria from the previous students are now living on the surface of your hand. Since running to the bathroom before eating and/or putting your hands near your face is redundant, I would recommend getting a travel sized hand sanitizer that while killing germs and protecting you, is also helping the other students out at the same time. I think that as high schoolers this should be ingrained in our heads by now, but you would be surprised how many people don’t do it. Don’t be the person who caused your entire friend group to miss school because you passed the sickness onto them. 

If you do fall sick, another obvious solution to isolating it is not going to school and other public spaces. So many students will still end up going to school even after being diagnosed with an illness because they don’t want to make up schoolwork, but it’s in the agenda for a reason. You’re not only hurting yourself further by not giving your body the time and rest that it needs to ward off the flu, but you’re also infecting others while you’re at it. With a weakened immune system this can inflict more harm for a longer period of time. A not so talked about suggestion is to take a daily vitamin. Doing this can help ensure that you are getting all the nutrients needed so that if your body does come in contact with the virus, it doesn’t take as big of a hit because it’s functioning as it needs to be. There are so many different types for different necessities that with a little bit of research, you can find the kind that would support you the best (make sure to talk to your doctor before starting if you think that it might be a conflict). 

In a recent poll I conducted of 15 students in varying grades at MASH, all of the participants asked said they luckily haven’t gotten the flu this season, but that doesn’t mean there are those who haven’t suffered from its grip. 

As this flu season continues, there are many varying ways to avoid getting the flu, but Madeline Kroft (Jr.) and Makayla Gesell (Jr.) both agree that it’s key to shower often to rinse off all the bacteria that you accumulate throughout the day. Do your part in preventing the flu this season and make our community healthier.