Dancing for a cure

Erin Harris, Sports Editor

Mini-THON is an event that is now a part of many high schools and communities. It all started with THON at Penn State University. THON is a dance marathon event where the students and other donors work to raise money to help pediatric cancer.

In the actual THON in State College, participants stand on their feet for 48 hours without sleeping or even sitting down. At Mechanicsburg, our students participate for 12 hours. 

Here at Mechanicsburg, a group of students, ninth through twelfth, work almost year round to fundraise for the event that is every year in February. 

Fundraisers include canning, festivals, game booths, and other giveaways that bring in money for the cause. 

Much preparation goes into the event.

The weeks and months leading up to the event are filled with raising money, connecting with donors, figuring out food for the event, and the event itself. 

Students also spend the morning of the event setting up the gym and making sure everything is ready for the 100 to 150 students that attend the event. 

Adviser and teacher, Katie Earley said, “THON is a great opportunity for the student body to come together and support a great cause. The THON committee has worked hard all year fundraising for Four Diamonds and organizing this annual event. As the advisor, I am so happy to see our students come together and make a difference.“ 

This year at THON the gym was filled with lawn games, including cornhole and spike ball, a volleyball court, and even a blowup obstacle course. Baskets were also down so that the students could use them to play basketball.

Other events include a puppy room, a rave, a 3v3 basketball tournament , and the school’s annual dodgeball tournament run by Mr. Laudenslager

Junior student adviser, Allison Schrass, describes THON as, “a student run organization that raises money for pediatric cancer patients through a dance marathon.” 

Overall, THON is a great community event that helps families and children all over the country.