Course Selection

Course Selection

Gracen Shepps, News Editor

Now that we are in the third marking period, it is time to start thinking about course selection for next year. However, making sure you have enough credits without creating a schedule that is too hectic can be a challenge. However, by taking advantage of the wonderful opportunities here at Mechanicsburg, such as course registration night, planning your schedule doesn’t have to be stressful. 

Course registration is very helpful to students unsure which classes will be best for the next year. Sophomore counselor, Mrs. Clarke, explained the topics of course registration and why this can be a helpful resource to students.  She described that on course registration night counselors will discuss topics such as, “graduation requirements, credits, NCAA Guidelines for students interested in playing a sport in college, course levels and more” Teachers will make their own suggestions for which level of the core classes, but students can always discuss these selections with their teacher if they would feel most comfortable in another level. 

Making sure you choose the best courses for you is the most important thing. Mrs. Clarke also stated, “We frequently remind students that many colleges require two years of a world language, so that is something to keep in mind when selecting courses.” This shows that even if you are not quite sure what career you want to pursue in the future, learning another language is recommended. Many studies show the benefits of being bilingual in the workforce. In fact, one study showed, “Almost 57 million strong, Hispanics represent almost 18% of the U.S. population, and they’re expected to continue showing growth, reaching 24% of the population by 2040 and 29% by 2060. Despite slowing immigration and reduced birth rates, Hispanics will drive the majority of all U.S. future growth for the foreseeable future.” By taking a language, such as Spanish, you will be able to interact with a greater number of clients and have more job opportunities. 

Mrs. Clarke also shared, “It’s also a good idea to think about what courses are related to a student’s interests and career goals.  For example, if a student is interested in a career in the medical field, then we recommend that the student take a rigorous sequence of science courses through senior year.” If you are not sure what classes will help you best in your future endeavors, talking to your grade-level counselor is a great way to make sure you are taking the right path. In advisory, students also received and filled in course organizers for the following year. This is another useful resource in choosing courses. It is important to note that it is important to make the correct class choices now because you can not change classes during the school year. The only exception is if a student wishes to move up a level, in which the teacher and principal have to approve this schedule change. 

With this advice and personal advice from your counselor, picking the best classes for you does not have to be a stressful process.