New Flexible Seating at MASH

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Flexible Seating at MASH

Gracen Shepps, News Editor

Many teachers and students around the world stick with the firm belief that a more comfortable classroom is a more productive one. As you may have noticed, many teachers are choosing to switch to a more flexible seating style, which consists of rolling chairs, tables where you can stand, and various types of comfortable seating. 

So far, there have only been a few studies on this topic; however, the current research is promising. A study of 153 classrooms in the UK proves, “Flexible, welcoming spaces had a startlingly large effect on learning in math—73 percent of the students’ progress that was attributed to classroom design was traced back to flexibility and student ownership. The reasons are a mystery, but Barrett and his team hazarded a guess: Academic subjects that provoke anxiety—in math, that’s a known issue—are better addressed in classrooms that feel comfortable and familiar to students.” The better overall grades in classes clearly exhibit the benefits of learning in comfortable seating, which is becoming more frequent among MASH classrooms.

Many teachers prefer it for the freedom it gives students, while others argue that this seating can be distracting. However, whatever your opinion may be there are clearly educational benefits.

There are also several other benefits to this type of seating. It also encourages students to work collaboratively, because they have the freedom to sit however they choose, and it helps them to remain physically active throughout the day. This is supported by an academic paper written by Matthew T. Mahar, which shows that children display more on-task behaviors. When students are more on task, grades will of course improve. 

To conclude, there are clearly benefits of new flexible seating, and we will have to see for ourselves the true impact of them on grades at MASH, as more and more teachers invest in this furniture.