Wildcat Theater presents “The Three Musketeers” in November

MASH Theater presents

MASH Theater presents "The Three Musketeers".

Max Hahn, Reporter

As always, MASH’s fall play is a show held in high regard by students, faculty, and the community alike. However, this year’s performance of The Three Musketeers is one you certainly should not miss.

Most people have heard the phrase “The Three Musketeers” before; however, many probably don’t know the story from which the saying is derived. The Three Musketeers was originally a novel written in the mid-nineteenth century by French author Alexandre Dumas. The story – set in fifteenth century France – follows the journey of d’Artagnan, a young man who leaves his home and travels to Paris with the goal of joining the King’s Musketeers. In Paris, d’Artagnan befriends three other musketeers – fellow soldiers Athos, Porthos and Aramis – and the story follows their adventures in a rather politically tense period of French history, as clashes occurred regularly over whether to adopt a republican form of government or remain a monarchy.

Junior Nathan Hurley is cast as the lead role of D’Artagnan. Nathan – whose theatre experience includes over ten performances: seven musicals, three plays, and one opera – has been “excited about this show from the very start.” “Seeing it come to life in just these first couple weeks of rehearsal has already been amazing, so I cannot wait until we get to share it with an audience,” Nathan says.

This year’s cast features seniors Reid Fournier, Trent Yatsky, and Josiah Truitt as the three musketeers. Reid Fournier, a regular on the stage at MASH, was the lead of last year’s Wildcat Production’s Newsies (the 2019 spring musical) and Baskerville (the 2019 fall play). Reid is especially looking forward to “the exciting and extensive stage combat” featured in the production. Trent Yatsky enjoys the “thrilling plot filled with many twists and turns.”

Other seniors with lead roles include Zsanna Smith, James Lockwood, and Megan Collins.

The fall play is directed by English teachers Mrs. Bohrer and Mr. Luttermoser. Mrs. Bohrer appreciates the “31 kids in the cast, several who also are learning some impressive fight choreography. Besides the kids in the cast, we have student leadership in stage managing, costuming, production design, house and paint crew.” 

Mrs. Bohrer says, “It’s the way the kids embrace the show that makes the hours we spend in the auditorium after school each day so worthwhile.  I have no doubt that when the audience walks out of the auditorium after seeing this show, they will feel the same way.”

The fall play’s stage crew is led by Social Studies teacher Mr. Stern. Mr. Stern looks forward to creating the “massive” stationary set needed for the show. He is also excited to work with younger students who have joined stage crew this year, many of whom have “past experience working with the middle school musical or with construction tools and equipment.” Having students with experience building and working with tools will be helpful this year due to the size of the set.

New this year, the cast and crew of The Three Musketeers are excited to offer a matinee showing of their play on Saturday afternoon, in addition to their typical Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night performances. 

The Three Musketeers will be performed in the MASH auditorium on Thursday, November 21; Friday, November 22; and Saturday, November 23, with shows beginning at 7:30 pm.  Additionally, their matinee performance will begin at 2:00 pm on Saturday, November 23.

Be sure to check out the display case in the Main Commons in the coming weeks! Tickets will go on sale in November (only $7 per person), and students and faculty will have the opportunity to preview the fall play during assemblies on the morning of Wednesday, November 20.