Project LIT Club

Back to Article
Back to Article

Project LIT Club

Gracen Shepps, News Editor

With the beginning of a new school year comes many new opportunities. One of these opportunities is the Project LIT club, which is run by Freshman English teacher Mrs. Donley. Project LIT is a club that reads contemporary and relevant young adult literature. They meet on day two during FLEX and are looking into adding morning meetings to allow more people to join the club. When project LIT meets, it is a very open place to discuss literature and relevant world topics that are in the book. They read, discuss the novel, and enjoy food based on what the characters in the book eat. 

Project LIT club is also a very tight-knit group. Junior member, Erin Harris, shared, “We have very open conversations. We all know we can talk and be honest with one another.” Thus far, they have discussed many books, such as They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera, The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon, and Monday’s Not Coming by Tiffany D. Jackson. These publications have certainly made a positive impact on the members of the club, and the modern issues presented within the novel lead to learning a lot about contemporary issues. Project LIT club is a very inclusive space. When Mrs. Donley was asked what she wants people to know about the club, she stated, “All are welcome, whether you think you are a reader or not.” She also explained that it could help to make reading more fun. 

To conclude, Project LIT club’s twenty-six members would all urge you to strive for a love of reading and join this club. Studies even show the clear benefits of reading every day. A study from Warner School of Education shares, “Setting aside a block of 15 minutes a day to reading together can yield impressive benefits for everyone involved. This practice builds knowledge, increases vocabularies, strengthens family relationships, improves school success, and nurtures a lifelong love for reading.” Project LIT Club helps a love of reading to grow and flourish. By joining this club, your love of reading can grow, and these benefits come along with that. Project Lit offers a safe space for open discussion, spending time with friends, eating food, and discussing relevant literature, so whether you consider yourself a reader or not, Mrs. Donley and the club’s members encourage you to join Project LIT club.