Wildviews with an Alabama University softball student athlete

Back to Article
Back to Article

Taylor Clark in an at bat while being a student at MASH.

Provided by Clark

Provided by Clark

Provided by Clark

Victoria Yother, Chief Photographer

This weekend was the start of the NCAA College Softball Tournament. All across the nation, division one softball athletes have been fighting for there chance at the super regionals. Ranked number eight going into the weekend, Alabama will now advance to the super regionals for the 15th year in a row. Wildcat alumni Taylor Clark, after transferring from Virginia Tech, has been aiding Bama is anyway possible. Clark has appeared in 29 games and started a total of seven times. After winning over Arizona State University, Alabama will head to the super regionals and face off against the Texas Longhorns.

Alabama University junior, Taylor Clark, on Media Day

Q: What are the differences and similarities between Virginia Tech and Alabama?

1. There aren’t a whole lot of similarities between the two schools, other than that they are both power 5 conference schools and you have to know how to manage softball and schoolwork. Alabama is a lot more intense and intentional with practice and weights….and we pay a lot more attention to detail. The small things add up and matter, so that’s what we focus on. The academics are a little easier here at UA compared to VT and the campus is a lot more spread out.

Q: How do you manage your time between softball, school, and friends?

1. Playing travel ball and high school ball helped a lot while growing up because it taught me how to manage my time between school, softball and my social life. I’ve pretty much been doing it my entire life, so the transition to college was easier than I thought. However, my best advice for high school students going into college and planning on participating in athletics is to use a daily planner and write out all your assignments, practices, appointments, etc down as soon as you get them. So for example, as soon as I would get a syllabus for a class, I would sit down and write everything listed in my planner for that class for that semester.

Q: What can we expect out of Alabama come super regionals and beyond?

1. I think what you can expect out of Alabama Softball for super regionals is what you have been seeing all year. We just keep working and pushing each other to get better every day. We fight for each other. And I think one of our best mottos that has come from our pitching coach, Stephanie VanBrackle, is “we just gotta keep doing what we’ve been doing.” So that’s exactly what we are going to do. And there’s a saying going around, “never anger an elephant,” and that’s exactly what the selection show committee sort of did with giving us the 8th national seed, so we use that to fuel us to attack each day and each game with all we got.

Q: How is the team’s atmosphere in regular season versus post season?

1. The atmosphere isn’t much different either, it’s sort of the same as I explained above. I think if anything, them giving us the 8th seed is in our favor because we are predicted to finish 8th in the SEC at the beginning of the year and we ended up being the SEC regular season champs. We used the number 8 to motivate us the whole season, so why not use it again and ride it the whole way to the World Series in Oklahoma.

Q: Just from watching the tournament, viewers can tell that Alabama has one of the most dedicated fan followings. How does that shape the culture that surrounds the team?

1. Our fan base is seriously unbeatable and you can not compare it to anything. They are one of the main reasons we have only lost 3 games at home this entire year. It is so intimidating to play at a close to sold out or sold out game at Rhoads Stadium and it’s like that every single game. I get chills every time I step on the field, people down here just love Alabama  Softball and it brings me such joy to be able to give people down here in Tuscaloosa something to come together for, something to look forward to and for something to cheer about. Interacting with our fans is unbeatable to. They know every single thing about every girl on the team and they are so invested in Alabama Softball. It is truly a once in a lifetime experience

Q: How did you bridge the gap between highschool ball to the elite level of softball you’re in now?

1. Personally, I think I closed the gap between high school softball and the level I’m playing at now by playing the highest level of travel ball that I could while in high school. I played for TNT Gold and Rock Gold-Waye where we traveled all over the country playing the best competition we could. So I was facing girls committed to SEC Schools, ACC schools, BIG 10 schools, PAC 12 schools, etc. I also started weightlifting and working out regularly and I tried to take every rep of fielding and hitting as serious as I could no matter if I was at travel practice or high school practice, or if I was taking cuts at Carmen Fusco’s.

Q: Have you developed a southern accent since being in the deep south?

1. Haha that’s actually I really funny question because I definitely say “y’all” a lot more often now but then at some points throughout the day I can hear myself say some words slightly more southern than I used to simply because I am surrounded by southern accents down here in TTown. And sometimes my teammates or even the athletic trainer for our team will mention to me that the word I just said came out a little more southern than it used to.