The Rebuilding of Notre Dame

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Rebuilding of Notre Dame

Emma Brooks, Reporter

I’m sure by now everyone has heard about about what happened in Paris, France to one of the most historic cathedrals in the world: Notre Dame. If not, however, here is a quick recap:

On April 15th, a fire broke out in one of the most well known religious buildings known, bringing in over millions of tourists each year. The Cathedral is an integral part of French history and has been around for nearly a thousand years. Even with tons of people researching the cause of the fire, it remains unknown. The cathedral was built primarily with wood, which made it all the more flammable.

Three people were injured and over 400 firefighters arrived on the scene to try and diminish the flames. Thousands of donations have been made to help the efforts in rebuilding it, and people took to social media to share their thoughts. An estimate of upwards of $1 billion has been raised, including donations from Donald Trump. However, on websites such as Twitter, there has been tons of backlash on those who have donated and how much has been donated in such a short amount of time. Places such as Chabad of Poway, Indonesia, and Flint need just as much help, yet haven’t been receiving it. Instead, the cathedral has caught the attention of people all around the world and has an abundance of resources to be rebuilt. There are thousands of other problems in the world today that could be fixed with donations and volunteers, but the billionaires aren’t looking into them.

Climate change today could be fixed with enough money invested in it, along with other necessary changes. The community is upset at how many are starving, dying, and injured in the world, but aren’t being made a priority. Notre Dame already has plans set in place by President Emmanuel Macron to be rebuilt, but these other areas and countries have no reassurance that they will even live until the next day or help at all. Pollution, poverty, famine, among many other things are important issues that we need to address and make a priority before making sure that a historic building is able to be rebuilt. In the end, Notre Dame has proven to be a tragedy for thousands around the globe, but enough donations have already been made to help out and it is important that we focus our efforts on other areas that need assistance as well.