Distracted Driving and Alcohol Awareness Month

Lily Eckroth

During the month of April, an immense amount of attention is given to the dangers of distracted driving and people who have been affected by it in the past. Distracting driving is a major epidemic that impacts Americans’ lives everyday. Nearly 9 people die and 100 are injured each day in car accidents involving distracted driving. The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year. The distractions drivers are faced with each day make it very difficult to feel safe on the road. People are working to limit these crashes and injuries by bringing awareness to the issue throughout this month.

All across the country, people’s lives change due to distracted driving cases. One out of every four car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving. In 2015 alone, 3,477 people were killed and 391,000 people were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers. These facts are very alarming to new and experienced drivers. Finding ways to prevent an increase in these statistics and keep people safe is what the month of April is dedicated to.

In many cases alcohol consumption may play a role in the outcomes of distracted driving incidents. On average, 28 people die everyday as a result of drunk driving crashes. Drinking and driving is a major issue that can completely change someone’s life. In 2010, 10,228 people died in drunk driving crashes, meaning one crash occurs every 52 minutes, and 345,000 were injured. The amount of deaths that result from crashes involving alcohol calls for change to happen. The overall solution for these types of accidents is to never drive a vehicles after consuming any alcohol.

Even though distracted driving seems unstoppable and powerful, there are several ways to limit the number of deaths of people involved in these type of crashes each year. The best and most efficient way of reducing injuries and deaths is to stay completely focused on the road whenever you are driving. The National Safety Council says, “Cell phones are a top distraction because so many drivers use them for long periods of time each day.” The increase in technology that this generation has access to has caused an overall safety threat to people driving each day. Ending the amount of distractions present in a vehicle will make the road a much safer place to travel each and every day.

At MASH students are given a semester long drivers education class that teaches them the ways of the road before learning to drive for the first time. Implemented into these lessons is a whole unit dedicated to distracted driving and the dangers that come with it. The students are taught to always stay focused on the road and never allow for themselves to partake in any other activities while driving. Teaching students early on about the dangers distracted driving presents, will not only make them aware of the outcomes, but will also prevent them from following in these bad actions. Driving is a very important aspect of people’s lives each day, therefore making an end to distracted driving will overall keep everyone on the roads much safer.