Ways to make a difference within the school district

Tyler Schwarzman, Sports Editor

In 1943, U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt designated the month of March as Red Cross Month. Every president since then has continued this tradition through Presidential Proclamations — and for good reason too. The American Red Cross is a charitable organization that “prevents and alleviates human suffering” in times of crisis by harnessing the “power of volunteers and the generosity of donors”, responding to an emergency every eight minutes (redcross.org).

That being said, if you are a student here at MASH, you do not have to join or donate to the organization in order to make a difference and/or to make the world a better place. There are plenty of amazing ways to get involved and help the Mechanicsburg community. Here are just a few volunteering opportunities that you could easily take advantage of…

1. Operation Wildcat Clean Up Day – March 23, 2019 @ 9:00 AM @ OW space in MMS basement – Help is needed to sort and hang clothes. Be warned though, there is no heat or a/c, so dress appropriately! You can sign up here! www.ttsu.me/5s3rcd
  2. Tykes2Teens Consignments Sale Pick Up – March 30, 2019 @ 6:00 PM @ the Park Inn – Come help with leftover consignment items by loading them up in containers and then bringing them to the warehouse or MMS later that evening. Sign up here! www.ttsu.me/uveet9
  3. Literacy Night Prep Day – April 7, 2019 @ 1:00 PM @ Kindergarten Academy – Volunteers are needed to help organize and tag all of the items that will be given out to parents and children. There will be music and pizza provided. Sign up here! https://ttsu.me/tagging2019
  4. Full Hearts Outreach, the new service club at MASH guided by Mrs. Little, is “hoping to inspire students to volunteer in a way that is fun and meaningful.” The volunteer group spends time at the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank — packing food boxes and sorting through donated goods — and also assembles crafts for Caitlin’s Smiles in addition to helping out with Operation Wildcat. For more information about Full Hearts Outreach, please contact them at [email protected]. Their next meeting is on Friday, March 15 immediately after school in room 229!

In closing, whether you are looking to pick up some service hours for National Honor Society or are just looking to do a lot of good in the Wildcat community, make sure you check out these and countless other volunteer opportunities in our surrounding area.