Suffering from anxiety? Here are a few tips to help you.

Drue Cappawana, Opinion Editor

Anxiety can be incredibly debilitating. Everyone has some level of anxiety, as it is the body’s natural reaction to stressful situations, but for some, they suffer from a psychological disorder of anxiety. The most common of these is Generalized Anxiety Disorder or GAD. GAD is defined by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services as “an anxiety disorder characterized by chronic anxiety, exaggerated worry and tension, even when there is little or nothing to provoke it.” Many sufferers of GAD are teenagers, who are going through some of the most transformative years of their lives. And these teenagers don’t exactly know how to cope with it. Some of them have the financial stability to be prescribed and take medication for it, however, many anxiety medications just don’t work; take it from me, I was on anxiety medication for some time in 2018 and it did nothing except worsen my anxiety. I know far too many MASH students who just do not know how to cope with their anxiety. So, here are three very simple tips on how to deal with anxiety:

1. Incense and essential oils are your best friends. Although neither of these has any significant medical benefits, I find myself lighting a stick of incense or turning on my essential oils diffuser whenever I find myself in a stressful situation at home. Of course, you have to find the scent that works for you, as some can actually make me more stressed out with their intensity.
  2. I know it can be tempting to pull an all-nighter to get all of the pressing schoolwork done and out of the way. Stop doing that. When you don’t allow your body to get the rest it deserves and needs, you’re only going to make the problems worse. Sleep is a natural stress reliever and getting at least 7 hours a night will help ease your anxiety, guaranteed.
  3. Document your stressful experiences in a journal. If you write down every time you’re stressed out why you are stressed, not only will you be able to alleviate the stress through written venting, but you’ll also be able to discover a trend in what causes your anxiety. If you choose to then see a medical professional about treating your anxiety, they might be able to offer medical advice about how to navigate your triggering situations, may it be school, family, work, or a combination of things.

There are hundreds of more tips to be given to people with anxiety. Lots of things work for many people, and lots of things also don’t work. It all comes down to the person. If one tip doesn’t work for you, that’s completely okay! Just try a different one and see if that helps to alleviate your anxiety at all. And of course, there is no single magic tip that is going to cure your anxiety and stop you from being anxious all of the time. If that single tip did exist, it would likely be illegal. Here’s a link to some more tips from medical professionals.