March For Our Lives club at MASH

Back to Article
Back to Article

March For Our Lives club at MASH

Lily Eckroth

On February 14, 2018 one of the largest school shootings in American history occurred at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. Seventeen innocent people who were going to school that day lost their lives. The events that day gave way to many people who attend Stoneman Douglas to rise above their role as a student. Among these students include Emma Gonzalez and Alfonso Calderon. These individuals have worked hard to push for gun reform and let their voices be heard. These students also raised awareness for creating gun laws, making schools safer, and helping students with their overall mental health. Their inspirational voices have brought about movements that began in Parkland, Florida and have branched out to all around the country. They created March For Our Lives which was designed to bring people together in order to let their own voices be heard regarding senseless gun violence. It was a successful event that took place in Washington DC weeks after the horrible events of the shooting.

After Parkland, schools across the country began participating in school walkouts, bringing awareness to school safety and ending gun violence. On March 14th, 2018, a month after the Parkland shooting, thousands of students and teachers walked out of their classrooms to protest against gun rights and making everyone feel comfortable in school. On that same day in March, students at MASH had the option of participating in this nationwide event, by also walking out of class. The protest was very successful, influencing students to participate and stand up for their rights to stay safe in school. A handful of students presented speeches and spoke to the large crowd of students with optimism and pride. The Parkland shooting changed the mindset of many people attending school everyday. It made them realize that there was a need to feel safe again and to stand up against gun violence.

Now, a year has passed since the shooting and people are again working to protest and share their voices. More locally at MASH, students have started advocating for a March For Our Lives club. MASH Senior and club leader, Drue Cappawana, shares that the club will “focus on educating students about gun violence in the country and make them aware of all possible solutions to those problems.” The club will bring a sense of comfort to the students and help them understand how to end gun violence in schools. It is very open to anyone attending MASH who wants to share their opinions and help students feel safer. The club is expected to take full formation soon, Drue Cappawana says, “after I go through the proper channels with the administration to establish it, it will fluctuate as each FLEX block cycles through.” The March For Our Lives club will bring more ways for students and staff to stay safe and educate themselves further on gun violence issues across schools in America.