MASH Mini-Thon 2019 was a success

Back to Article
Back to Article

MASH Mini-Thon 2019 was a success

Lily Eckroth

Mechanicsburg Area Senior High School participates in Mini Thon each year to help conquer childhood cancer. This all night long event is committed to raising money for the children and families who are affected by cancer in the US. Students work together all year to plan for this successful event. The event at MASH is full of dancing, games, food, and other activities, all to raise money for children in need. Proceeds go to the Four Diamonds Foundation which supports families with costs they need paid off. The Penn State medical center is also a recipient of money raised in order to research and experiment new treatments. Since 1977, over $157 million has been raised as an effort to conquer childhood cancer. Every donation counts towards an effort to help the families and children who are affected by cancer.

More locally, at the high school, students work together to create an event that will bring attention to the issue. Their hope is to influence people to donate and come support the event. At the beginning of the year fundraisers already began. Several restaurants such as Panera, Chipotle, and Buffalo Wild Wings donated a percent of their earnings after every purchase. Students who were part of organizing Mini Thon also participated in volunteer work at events throughout the community to raise money.

Students stayed awake for all 12 hours of the night from February 9th-10th. This year, thon was full of several creative activities. The night included organized games, sports, dancing, and zumba. Everyone worked to stay active and have fun all throughout the night. A variety of food was served during the 12 hours. Each student was able to enjoy themselves and raise money all for the kids. The energy and physical activity pursued by each student reflects their awareness for the children who can no longer do things a healthy child would.

In total over $20,000 was raised to benefit the Four Diamond Fund. The student’s hard work through fundraisers and donations will help to make a difference in the children and their families lives who are affected by cancer. Each year the students will continue to work hard and benefit the children who need help. Mini Thon is a great experience that schools across America participate in to find a cure for childhood cancer