Moving Forward: MASH seniors taking their athletics to the next level

Victoria Yother, Spotlight Editor

On February 6th, the senior athletes who will continue their careers into the collegiate level were recognized at signing day. From baseball and softball to soccer and wrestling, this senior class shows a wide range of athletic ability.

Lainie Anderson decided to continue to play soccer at Franklin & Marshall University. She has been dreaming of the opportunity to play collegiate soccer since she was a little girl and can’t wait to continue her academic and athletic careers at F&M.

Sadie Doss will play volleyball but at West Chester University. “…the West Chester coach just reached out and asked me to visit, and my family unanimously agreed that it was the school for me. I loved the campus, and it just felt right,” Doss explained when asked why she chose West Chester.

Baseball players pitcher Zach Russell and Sam Zercher are both playing ball at the collegiate level. Russell declared his intentions on attending Pittsburgh University – Greensburg to major in accounting due to the players and coaching staff taking the game seriously. Zercher will catch and play corner infield while majoring in applied health science in hopes of entering pre-med at Messiah College. He found Falcons baseball to be the right fit for him because “ naturally college baseball is was the next step for me.”

Hitting lessons once a week, I workout/ lift three times a week with power train, work on skills once a week with a coach, along with travel practice once a week “ is how Harley Sampson answered when asked about her training to be able to play softball at Penn State Harrisburg, where she’ll also be majoring in kinesiology.

Nick Tewell trains relentlessly to get himself ready before he hits the wrestling mats. 7-10  practices a week all year long, frequent lifting, and practicing twice a week when is season are just a few of the things he did to set himself up with a scholarship to Franklin & Marshall University to major in either biology or chemistry.  

To underclassmen, these student-athletes have ample advice for possible college recruitment.  Future second basemen and marketing major at Messiah, Thomas Murray, advises possible recruits to “ Pick 3-5 schools that you are interested in and go to their camps. You will get to be on the campus and see what life will be like from a student-athletic standpoint.

Although it’ll be tough, MASH can be proud to say goodbye to these student-athletes, knowing that they will come, successful doctors, lawyers, journalists, and businessmen. Good luck to all the seniors playing the sports they love at the next highest level of competition and go Wildcats!