MASH moves midterm testing before winter break

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lily Eckroth

It’s the time of year where students and staff are looking forward to the two week holiday break ahead of them. In years past, MASH would have a normal schedule the week before students went home. Midterm testing would be placed after the holidays in early January. This year though, midterms will be given to students the week before they go on break. Meaning the last week of school in 2018 will be two full days of review and then three half days for testing. Some students like the idea of having them early while others are opposed to it.

Having midterms before break leaves less time for students to prepare since in former years they would have the whole winter break to study. MASH 10th grader, Annika Hummel shares, “I know that myself and other students have felt burnt out from going to school for awhile and still learning new material. Having midterms after break would mean more time to study and would give our brains a rest.” This year students will have less days before midterms to prepare since teachers are still finishing units they started. Midterms before break can stress students out more and leave them trying to cram to study for every subject.

On the other hand, the majority of students are fond of this year’s change of having midterms before winter break because this means they will likely receive no work over the holidays. Students will be able to relax and be ready for the second half of the school year once they come back in January. Sophomore Hanna Paul shared, “I like that midterms are early this year because we won’t have to study and worry at all over holiday break. Plus, we will also have half days leading up to the time off, which is nice too.” Students believe that not having to stress over break is truly rewarding and beneficial. Getting out of school early during testing days also lets students unwind and begin their break early.

Overall, the Mechanicsburg Area High School’s decision to hold midterm testing before winter break is approved by many. It allows for complete relaxation during the two weeks off of school. Even though some may find it stressful to have less time to prepare, the thought of not having to worry about tests upon returning from break is very nice. Adjusting to the new ways of the 2018-2019 school year has been an obstacle that students have learned to overcome. Students must work hard and persevere through the testing in order to receive a well deserved break.