Social Media: Good or Bad?

Credit: https://www.wordstream.com/social-media-marketing

Emma Brooks, Guest Reporter

Since 1997, when the first social media site was created, social media as a whole has grown exponentially. According to the Pew Research Center, 71% of teens say that they use more than one social media site and, as you may of you guessed, Snapchat, Facebook, and Instagram are among the top. But the question that most people often ponder is whether social media is a good thing or a bad thing.

When I conducted a poll on this question, students Soph. JR Mizerak, Sr. Connor Wallace, and others said that they thought social media was good overall, which adds up to 74% of 35 votes. When asked if they ever made a friend off social media, Jr. Sam

Schreier and Jr. Mia Falcone, along with others, said they have, which adds up to 81% of 35 votes.

Like every topic, there are pros and cons. Some countries think that social media is such a bad thing that they go as far as banning them. Iran banned Twitter, YouTube, and FaceBook because of the fear that opposition movements were being held online. In China, a home to over one billion people, YouTube, Twitter, and FaceBook are also blocked, with exceptions in some parts of the country.

However, even with all these fears and bans, many influencers will tell you that they think the opposite. Companies such as Nike, Domino’s, and Lego use social media as an outlet to promote their businesses. And to no one’s surprise, it works.

A poll from Statista shows that 77% of America have a social media account. With those kind of numbers online, it’s becoming increasingly more normal to see ads when scrolling through your Instagram feed or Snapchat stories, and so the company names start to become familiar. Social media influencers such as Kim Kardashian get paid to promote other companies, and so it’s a win-win for everyone involved.

It’s also a good way to get yourself noticed and make a difference in the world. Zach Sobiech, a cancer patient, took control of his right to post on social media and started the Zach Sobiech Osteosarcoma Fund to help raise money to look into a rare type of cancer that he has. It’s stories like these that make people want to use social media and connect with the rest of the world.

Just keep in mind that there are people out there who want to abuse their right and use it in the wrong way. People will go out of their way to comment on other’s feeds or pictures and say something horrible. People will post fake news to get clicks or post things that just aren’t true for views. People control social media and everything that gets posted. In the end, it’s up to the individual to decide whether social media is good or bad.