Girl’s soccer team’s remarkable season will go down in school history as one of the greatest ever

Tyler Schwarzman, Sports Editor

When high school sports fans think about high school sports, the federal government typically doesn’t come to mind. However, if it wasn’t for Title IX, a federal civil rights law that applies to all educational institutions across the U.S., teams like the MASH girl’s soccer team would not be able to have memorable seasons with incredible postseason runs. The law was passed as part of the Education Amendments of 1972, and, in layman’s terms, states that no student can be excluded from playing sports because of their gender. Thanks to Title IX and the admirable work of those who came before it, MASH’s girls soccer team was able to experience a season full of tradition, pride, and excellence.

Coached by Jake June, Katie Early, and Natasha Rosenberry, the team’s record-breaking regular season began at home with a 4-0 win over Northern York, and was followed shortly thereafter by an inspiring overtime win against Lower Dauphin on the road. In the last game of the regular season, the team beat Palmyra 2-0, scoring a program high 71 goals on the year. The Lady Wildcats finished the regular season 18-0 for the first time in school history, posting a league record of 10-0, which rightfully earned them the number one seed in the PIAA District III Class 3A playoffs.

Prior to their dominant 4-0 win over Fleetwood in the district quarterfinals, it’s arguable that the Lady Cats cemented their legacy by being placed in USA Today’s Super 25 girls national soccer rankings at 21st, an incredibly amazing accomplishment early on in the postseason. The girls went on undefeated until the District III title game, in which they lost a hard fought battle against Manheim Central. Still, the girls battled right back and kept on winning, earning them a spot in one of the state semifinal games. In one of if not the most thrilling games of the season, the Lady Cats fell 2-1 in OT to Villa Joseph Marie. The team finished an astonishing 23-2.

Despite the loss, the Lady Wildcats have continued to have success. Recently, and with no surprise, eight of the teams players were recognized as 2018 Mid-Penn Keystone girls soccer all-stars, and Jr. defender Jenna Skurcenski was even named “2018 Mid-Penn Keystone division girls soccer co-Most Valuable Player by the league’s coaches” (PennLive).

Here is a list of the all-stars:

First team –

Sr. forward Isabelle Martin (led team with 16 assists)

Sr. goalkeeper Lindsey Costello (led team with 91 saves)

Jr. defender Jenna Skurcenski

So. midfielder Elena Hinkson

Second team –

Sr. forward Meg Schrass

Sr. midfielder Lainie Anderson

Sr. defender Abby Strong

Fr. forward Halle Engle (led team with 29 goals)

In closing, MASD’s athletic twitter account said it best: “Thank you to Girls Soccer for taking this school and community on a special ride! These runs don’t happen often, and it was truly a pleasure! #wildcatpride.”