Appreciating the environment

Mayzee Paleveda, Guest Reporter

Breathing is essential for humans to survive. Considering how much the United States of America pollutes alone, it’s a miracle that people still can breathe suitable air. Thankfully, trees and plants exist to do a number of jobs including the purification of oxygen.

Purifying oxygen is just one way plants keep the air clean. Their roots hold the soil in place and prevent it from eroding. This fact became evident when the Dust Bowl of the 1930s occurred. The removal of native plants, coupled with a drought, allowed the soil to transform into vicious sandstorms for an entire decade. As a result of this catastrophe, farmers were encouraged to use different farming techniques in order to better preserve the soil.

Disasters such as the Dust Bowl have occurred in America, proving the environment helps people more than it receives credit for. A plethora of environmentally related issues awaits curious readers and published environmental awareness has had a direct consequence of post-disaster precautions.

Similar to the effects of the Dust Bowl, schools provide curriculum about Earth and the cause and effects of previous disasters. The Mechanicsburg Area Senior High School is one of those schools, but it doesn’t have a group dedicated to the restoration or awareness of nature.

Senior Emily Nissley has created an environmental club here at the high school, and with Freshman Eleanor Meckley’s help, they are working to raise awareness for numerous environmental issues. Various students, when asked if they would be interested in joining an environmental club, responded with the question: “Why?”

“If this is the reaction most people have, then it just goes to show how much we need to learn about the environment,” Meckley commented.

To answer the question of “why,” Emily Nissley commented, “It’s our generation’s responsibility to care for our environment and to ensure the wellbeing of future generations.”
Other responses to the initial question indicated some students won’t have time for another extracurricular activity. One interviewed student, Freshman Ella Forsythe, claimed she was “not interested in helping the environment”. However, she has nothing against nature and encourages others to save it.

Should students care about the environment? Students already have a lot of work to do, whether it’s sports or homework, and saving the environment will only cram their schedule more. Dedicating large chunks of time should not be necessary for students to be environmentally conscious. Simply changing small lifestyle habits can save a lot of nature.

In addition, turning off electronics overnight instead of letting them waste electricity is a priceless sacrifice well worth the reward. Recycling more often could even trigger an entire cycle of gratitude. Even saving one creature should be reward enough.

Every action counts, no matter how small or how big. Humans depend on the environment for numerous resources and solutions. Being extreme about saving the environment can be unnecessary if planting a few trees will suffice.

Constant environmental awareness truly shows there is an ongoing issue. Damage inflicted upon nature occurs not just in Pennsylvania, but around the globe. Life on Earth would not be possible without an environment to provide for humanity. Changing small things in our daily lives can be an effortless way to thank the world for maintaining the human race over the past few millennia.