Construction begins on the Wildcat Activity Center

Tyler Schwarzman, Sports Editor

It has now been a year since last October when the Mechanicsburg Borough Council passed the final land development plan for the construction of an athletics activity center, a decision that was later approved by the Cumberland County Conservation District. Fast-forward to this past week in October, and the construction of this new building, known as the Wildcat Activity Center, has already begun.  

According to The Sentinel, one of the reasons construction of the WAC was able to commence rather quickly was because it “does not require new access roads or storm sewer systems.” Essentially, this is because the 15,000-square-foot building is being built beside the track and student parking lot, which is in the middle of MASH property.

MASH Athletic Director, Mr. Pehanich, said that the center, designed by Crabtree, Rohrbaugh and Associates, will include “a lobby with public restrooms, a main gym, an auxiliary gym, locker rooms, a concession stand, and areas for equipment storage for both athletic teams and the marching band.”

Currently, the beginning stages of construction, or eliminating the outside basketball courts where the center is going to be located, are underway.

Over the next 8 or 9 months, Pehanich said that there will be an abundance of “construction workers, plumbers, and electricians coming and going” to work on the facility. The goal is for the WAC to be completed and open for the start of the 2019-2020 school year.

Upon its completion, the building will be open to all district students, but will primarily be used by MASH athletes. In terms of use by the MASH community, Pehanich believes it will ultimately come down to what opportunities the Mechanicsburg Recreation Department and Music Alliance can make out of the new building. For example, The Sentinel mentioned how “the facility could also be used for recreation programs like yoga and youth basketball.”

In summary, the WAC, a $4.5 million expenditure for MASD, will without a doubt prove beneficial, as it will not only solve the high school’s current issues of indoor practice scheduling and lack of gym and storage space, but also accommodate the district’s increasing student body size and need to further extracurricular activities.