Mechanicsburg Halloween parade brings community together

Evalyne Simpson, Features Editor

October is right around the corner, which means it’s almost time for Mechanicsburg’s annual Halloween parade. Mechanicsburg holds a Halloween parade every October. The parade is run by volunteers, and it is truly an event that brings the community together.

If you live in Mechanicsburg, it’s likely that you’ve heard of the parade or witnessed it yourself. Every year, hundreds of people line the streets to get a glimpse of the exciting celebration. It’s a tradition that even your grandparents will probably recall from their childhood. The parade features high school bands, sports teams, boy scouts, antique cars, race cars, music,and unique floats. Volunteers also give out candy, which is a plus.

Anyone can march in the parade, but you have to get approved by the parade committee first. You can get approved by sending in a request form. The parade wouldn’t happen without participation from community members. Community members run the committee, organize the entire event, and participate in marching. Sponsors from local businesses and groups are another factor that helps the parade run smoothly. These companies and groups give money to help ensure the success of the parade. A few sponsors include Lawrence Chevrolet, the Borough of Mechanicsburg, the Mechanicsburg Club, Malpezzi Funeral Home, and H&R Block.

This year, the parade will be held Tuesday, October 9th at 7:00 pm. It’s held in downtown Mechanicsburg, which means the parade marches from West Keller Street all the way up to South George Street. The parade ends at around 8:30 pm.

This year, the event’s main sponsor is Lawrence Chevrolet, who has sponsored the parade for a number of years. It’s also sponsored by 35 other local groups and businesses. This year, the parade is dedicated to Terry Hoch, a parade committee member who passed away May of this year. He was a very active member of the parade and will be missed dearly.

If you’re free on October 9th, you should really consider coming to the parade. You can come with your friends or siblings. If you have younger siblings you should bring them because they would probably really enjoy it. Come to see the variety of floats and acts, or you could just come for the free candy. Either way, you don’t want to miss out on this exciting event.