Wildviews with Mrs. Little and Mr. O’Malley

Photo Credit: Victoria Yother, Spotlight Editor

Tyler Schwarzman, Sports Editor

By Tyler Schwarzman

With the first full month of the 2018-2019 school year in the books, students should be reminded that it is essential to continue to build meaningful relationships with both their peers and teachers. One of the best ways to do so is to have a conversation and ask questions!

This past week I sat down with and interviewed two of our new wildcat teachers, Mrs. Little and Mr. O‘Malley — hence the term “wildviews”.

Mrs. Little is entering her first full year as an 11th grade level one and two chemistry teacher. She obtained her undergraduate degree in chemistry and chemical engineering from Geneva College and received her master’s degree in education from Shippensburg University. Despite the fact that she lives far away, she still makes an impact on MASH students by offering crocheting for kids during FLEX, a wonderful opportunity for students to crochet baby hats for Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital. Let’s get to know Mrs. Little a little bit better…

Q: What personal interests do you pursue outside of the classroom?

A: I am a youth leader at my church. I also enjoy hiking, and I volunteer my time for an organization in Harrisburg called Friends of Midtown [a non-profit dedicated to economic and cultural development in Midtown, Harrisburg, according to their website].

Q: When did you decide that you wanted to be a teacher, and why did you choose this field?

A: I decided one year after pursuing chemical engineering, as I realized I wasn’t impacting people daily. At the end of every day, I want to make a difference in the life of somebody in some way.

Q: What personal attributes and strengths do you find especially helpful while teaching?

A: Being sociable is very helpful. It helps with making relationships with students in order to help them better understand the content.

Q: How would you describe your ideal lesson?

A: I lecture for 5 minutes. Then, students take control of their learning through research. At the end of the lesson, we would all come back together to dialogue about the main ideas and concepts.

Q: What is your favorite experience from teaching thus far?

A: One frustrated student always told me she wasn’t good at math or science. I kept believing in her and said one day she would make a difference. Now, the student is in the University of Pittsburgh’s med program. This is my favorite experience because it shows how important it is to see the good in all people and help bring it out of them.

Q: What do you want to students to remember most about your class(es)?

A: That science can be fun and that they can tackle subjects they don’t think they can conquer.

Mr. O‘Malley teaches 10th grade world cultures and one section of 11th grade American government and contemporary U.S history. Not surprisingly, he majored in history, earning his bachelor’s degree from Lycoming College. He runs the very popular intramural basketball FLEX block and is an assistant varsity football coach here at MASH. Let’s get to know Mr. O‘Malley a little bit better…

A: Flexibility and fairness are key. Being respectful also helps in an overall feeling of mutual respect between all.

A: I would want to give students a chance to actively participate and take control of their learning, whether through games, activities, or research, in order to seek real-life application and meaning.

A: I am an avid Notre Dame and Green Bay Packers fan. I also enjoy streaming and watching movies on Netflix and HBO, and I enjoy spending time with my two dogs: a chocolate and a black lab.

A: I don’t know if there was one “aha” moment. I always figured teaching was something I would want to do since my teachers were role models for me. I aspire to be a presence in the community like they were.

A: The culture and sense of community between the students and staff here at MASH is very accepting and phenomenal. It’s also great to see students from all different backgrounds come together.

A: Even if they’re not pursuing my material, I would hope they would be able to apply critical thinking skills, know how to effectively research, and a display a hard work ethic in any situation in everyday life.