How to thrive in school and work

Regyna Gantt, Chief editor

It’s no shock to anyone that teenagers are among the most stressed out groups of people. In a survey for NBC news, teens reported their stress level is 5.8 out of 10, opposed to adults’ stress level of 5.1 out of 10. Additionally, 30% of teens reported feeling sad because of stress, and 23% said they have skipped meals due to stress. So why are teenagers so stressed out? Teenagers juggle school, work, extracurriculars, and a social/personal life on the daily. Probably the most grueling task of all, having a job in school, is the hardest to manage, but for some, necessary.

While it can be challenging to maintain a job while being a full time student, it is not impossible. Senior Macaila Bevan, a full time student and employee commented, “I balance it by working minimal hours during the school week, and I keep my manager in the loop about my big assignments. I think it’s crucial to work while in school because a lot of people who don’t, miss out on the learning experience of dealing with school and work. At times it is hard to balance, because one is making money for my future, and the other one is my educational future, so sometimes you just have to make tough decisions on what’s most important at the time.”

Here are a few ways to make certain that you thrive in the workplace, and in school:

1. Keep your managers in the loop. It’s frustrating for everyone if there is no communication. As long as your boss knows your school schedule and your availability, it shouldn’t be difficult to get your school work/ extracurriculars done.
  2. Make sure you find a job that’s right for you. Its easiest to get into the food industry, but that’s not what works for everyone. Jobs in retail are a lot easier and more lenient. So if you don’t think you will be able to handle the stress of a restaurant job, look into clothing retail or an office job.
  3. Know the labor laws. If you are a minor, there are a lot of laws and regulations that provide restrictions to your work schedule. These laws may vary depending on your age, the job, whether it’s a school day, etc. Not only will your job get fined if these restrictions are broken, but the minor can get in trouble or lose their job, as well.
  4. Keep your schedule manageable. We’ve all had a job that was completely unreasonable and impossible to handle. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Limit your hours to five a shift on school days and don’t work any more than three school days a week, five in total.
  5. Always complete your schoolwork. Make sure to keep up with your homework and ultimately, school always comes before work.

Working is definitely something that most teenagers should experience, but on the other hand, some students choose to focus on their school work, rather than work a job. Depending on your circumstances and what classes you take, it is better to not work until the summer, or after high school.

When asked why she chose not to get a job, Sr Kailee Cantu said, “Mostly because I am already stressed out when it comes to my grades, and I know it would be really horrible to have a job and juggle my school work. Also, my parents would not allow me to work because they want me to focus more on my school work then [to] earn a paycheck.¨

Whether you’re working a full time, part time, or seasonal job, it’s important to keep these things in mind so you can have a productive school year, while also making money.